Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My 1000D and the dreaded Err99.

As my close friends already know, I'm terribly sick with DSLR fever for over three months now. The photos I've taken with my own first DSLR (the Canon EOS 1000D) amounts to over 4500 shots. I'm mad about night and nature photography. And every photo tells a different unique story behind it.

At the peak of my fever, my 1000D suffers from the dreaded the ERROR 99 or in short, Err99. When the Err99 message pops out at my LCD screen, the camera freezes and no photos can be taken. I've read about the Err99. Err99 happens when the camera don't know what went wrong and decided to 'hang' itself. The following might be the causes behind Err99.

a. the lens refuse to communicate with the camera body.
b. the pins on the lens mount are damaged or dirty or rusted.
c. camera software corruption.
d. incompatible or damaged SDHC memory card.
e. damaged lenses (if this is true than all my four lenses are damaged).
f. the shutter has finally expired.
g. aperture blades are stucked and cannot get adjusted accordingly.
h. cable connecting sensors to cpu (DIGIC III processor) damaged.
i. Damaged circuitry in the mainboard of the camera.
j. Damaged mirror flipping mechanism
k. Damaged shutter release mechanism
l. And many others that I might not know of....

There are many attempts to revive my camera on my own. They are...

a. Resetting all the settings to default.
b. Reformatting the SDHC card.
c. Making sure the contacts (lens and body) are cleaned.
d. Using only original battery, LPE5 without the battery grip

All the efforts have failed. Alas I have to drag myself to Canon service center at Harbour Front.

After much reflection, I was thinking that all this happens because Allah swt is kind towards me. He wants me to get closer to Him even more rather than the camera. Subhanallah. I must redha and not complain...

No comments: